Pancakes are the best part of waking up. Aside from the usually, besides these pancakes being vegan they are also free from sugar and wheat. In the place of wheat, spelt flour is used. It is considered in the super markets an ancient grain like teff, amaranth, quinoa and kamut. In the place of sugar we used a plant-based substitute, we even have a plant-based substitute for baking powder because nature provides us with so much.
1 cup of spelt flour (I used sprouted spelt flour)
1/4 + 1/8 tsp sea salt
1 1/4 tsp aluminum free baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp grapeseed oil
2 tbsp agave (to serve with)
3/4 cup water
grape-seed oil for cooking
Non-stick pan or griddle
- In a bowl mix oil and water or milk if using.
- In a different bowl mix flour, baking powder, sea salt.
- Combine both mixes into a doughy mixture, do not over mix. (Do not over mix or it will become hard when cooked and not cook properly. Under mixing is better than over mixing)
- Cover the mixture and set aside for 5 minutes to rise.
- Preheat the pan with grapeseed oil on low heat. If using a griddle pre-heat at 320F degrees.
- Spoon in the mixture into the middle of the pan, continue to spoon into the middle and allow the batter to spread natrually.
- Cook for about 10 minutes on one side and flip once the air bubbles are done forming.
- Cook other side for another 4 to 6 minutes.
- Remove pancake from stove top and cool for 5 minutes on a rack.
- Serve with maple syrup.
Yields 2 large pancake.
Purchase Our Gluten-Free & Vegan 1-Month Meal Plan at Etsy.com Includes numerous recipes using the natural food list. Learn more.