Review of 100% Arriba Criollo Cacao Paste

David Wolfe's 100% Arriba Criollo Cacao Paste


Review of David Wolfe's 100% Arriba Criollo Cacao Paste - Organic, Heirloom, Wild. This cacao paste is raw, vegan, dairy free and gluten-free. 

I was intrigued to about David Wolfe's cacao because he was aware of hybridized or genetically modified cacao pods (i.e. CCN-51) and wild cacao pods (the fruit that chocolate is made from). David Wolfe has spent over 10 years researching chocolate around the world. The chocolate that David Wolfe advocates is sold by Longevity Warehouse and aptly named Arriba Nacional Cacao from Ecuador. There are various Arriba Nacional cacao products available and all of them are raw: 

  • Cacao beans - When the seeds/beans of the cacao pod (fruit) are dried and the skin is peeled that product is cacao beans. They can be eaten raw.
  • Cacao nibs - Nibs are broken up cacao beans. Note: If baking, cacao nibs do not melt, they are not chocolate chips.
  • Cacao paste - This item is a 100% chocolate bar (think unsweetened baking chocolate). Cacao paste is made when cacao beans are constantly pressed to make a paste, it then solidifies to make cacao paste. 
  • Cacao butter - In the process of making cacao powder cacao butter is made. White chocolate can be made from this product. Combining cacao butter with cacao powder re-makes cacao paste.
  • Cacao powder - In the process of making cacao butter cacao powder is made. Cacao powder is a common household chocolate product. Combining cacao powder with cacao butter re-makes cacao paste.

My Review of David Wolfe's 100% Arriba Criollo Cacao Paste:

It tastes like unsweetened baking chocolate when eating directly from the bag. It's bitter of course but not as bitter as 100% chocolate bars that can be purchased at the grocery store. I was expecting something greater, perhaps I'll try the raw cacao beans next time.

Update: Next day, I had eaten a few of these paste bars. I had to come back to write an update. I've never felt so anxious in my life. I mentioned that I was anxious to a family member and they asked if I had been eating chocolate. I can only assume it was the cacao paste because I was eating quite a lot of it. This is not scientific proof only a journalist review of what I notice with my body. 


source: www.longevitywarehouse.com